Yes its cold and Yes, unfortunately winter is here to stay for another few months. Boo Hoo! Instead of camping on the couch and drinking hot chocolates like they are going out of fashion, how about you opt to make this winter a little different?
Let’s try to avoid the winter weight gain and let’s do it NOW! Here’s how you can stay fit and fabulous throughout winter and slink into that bikini come spring/summer
1. DO NOT STOP EXERCISING! Seriously! Unless you’re a bear going down a cave for a long time, you need to keep your regime going. If you don’t have one, then what a great time to start one.
2: Eat healthy, lean meals. You can still have your “comfort foods” but why not try healthy versions on them. There are several million recipes online, just do a little researching! Better still, waste a bit of time at work and get a collection of winter recipes!
Also try Janella Purcell Me vs the Bulge, Taste, Delicious Magazine and Jamie Oliver’s 30 minute meals (on the Lifestyle channel). Not to mention my fabulous blog!
3: You burn more calories in colder months, so use it to your advantage. Try increasing your weights at the gym or adding a few hill sprints into your running plan.
4. Add more interesting activities to your program. Try plyometric type exercises (jump squats, box jumps, jump lunges, burpees, knee ups, etc) You definitely will NOT be cold after adding these to your routine. You’ll burn more calories whilst doing these types of exercise- Bonus!
5. Exercise at lunchtime or in the evening . If you are hopeless at getting up in the morning now, because its a little colder and darker, move your sessions to the evening or even lunchtime. Rather than missing your session, feeling guilty then having a binge on chocolate, you can now enjoy a sleep in and train later. Just make sure you don’t forget about your session!
6. Moisturise, Moisturise, Moisturise! Got it? I love using coconut oil on my body and I use Dermalogica and La Prairie on my face.
7. Invest in a slow cooker- Such a god send when the last thing on your mind is cooking. Set it before you go to work and presto! Dinner is ready when you get in the door.
8. Get moving with fun Winter (indoor) activities: Go ice skating, indoor rock climbing, ten pin bowling, squash, indoor soccer, dancing or martial arts. All can be a great way of mixing up your training whilst burning calories, having an awesome time and staying indoors.
9. Increase your soup intake. A great way to fill up before a meal and also a sneaky way to add vegetables into your diet (and also the kids!)
10. Don’t forget about your goals just because your body is buried under layers of clothing. Remind yourself that Spring is only a few months away and the more temptation you give into, the harder you will need to work once the weather warms up.