Some Of The Physical Benefits Of Regular Meditation Are;
- Deep rest-as measured by decreased metabolic rate, lower heart rate, and reduced workload of the heart.
- Lowered levels of cortisol and lactate-two chemicals associated with stress.
- Reduction of free radicals, which are unstable oxygen molecules that can cause tissue damage. They are now thought to be a major factor in ageing and in many diseases.
- Decreased high blood pressure.
- Higher skin resistance. Low skin resistance is correlated with higher stress and anxiety levels.
- Drop in cholesterol levels. High cholesterol is associated with cardiovascular disease.
- Improved flow of air to the lungs resulting in easier breathing. This has been very helpful to asthma patients.
- Younger biological age. On standard measures of ageing, long-term Meditation practitioners (more than five years) measured up to 12 years younger than their chronological age.
- Higher levels of DHEAS in the elderly. An additional sign of youthfulness through Meditation; lower levels of DHEAS are associated with ageing. **(Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) and its sulphate form DHEAS are the most abundant steroid products of the adrenal glands.)
- It lowers oxygen consumption.
- It decreases respiratory rate.
- It increases blood flow and slows the heart rate.
- Increases exercise tolerance in heart patients.
- Leads to a deeper level of relaxation.
- Decreases muscle tension (any pain due to tension) and headaches.
- Builds self-confidence.
- It increases serotonin production which influences mood and behaviour. Low levels of serotonin are associated with depression, obesity, insomnia and headaches.
- Helps in chronic diseases like allergies, arthritis etc.
- Reduces Premenstrual Syndrome.
- Helps in post-operative healing.
- Enhances the immune system. Research has revealed that meditation increases activity of the body’s natural cells, which kill bacteria and cancer cells.
- Also reduces activity of viruses and emotional distress.
- Personally I have also found meditation to be a highly effective tool in pain management and pain cessation.
You can find much more information on living a holistic lifestyle in these free magazines and on our YouTube channel.