Meditation helps us heal on a physical, spiritual and emotional level. It can really help people who have had serious illness. It is a very powerful tool.
Meditation is amazing for relieving stress, fear and anxiety. Used with positive affirmations it is effective and powerful in designing the life we really want.
I know cancer survivors or people with serious illness have been focused on surviving the illness but once they have survived, what comes next?
The way I can describe it to someone who has not had cancer or a serious illness is, if you were in a long term relationship and had goals and dreams with your partner for the future and your partner leaves you.
All of the goals you had together are not going to happen. So you have to start again and design your life from scratch.
Focusing on what you do want with positive affirmations and meditation makes this process so much easier.
This is what cancer survivors have to do. They have to rebuild their lives again as many of them only had the goal of surviving. Many live in fear of the illness returning. So what can you do to help yourself?
Meditation can help you deal with fear effectively.
As with all emotions whether we perceive them to be good or bad emotions awareness of these emotions are key to our growth.
Fear is an emotion that is there for a reason. It is a way to tell us that we are not safe. We never want to take away our fear but we can control how it affects us and meditation is one of the ways to do this.
Meditation help to improve negative moods and psychological distress, including anxiety, depression, and anger. There is also a compelling body of work in cognitive neuroscience that shows that meditation changes brain structure and function in ways that decrease fear and panic.
Fear happens, over and over again, throughout our lifetime. Just like all other emotions. We must remember they come and go. It is natural and safe to feel every emotion. What is not good for our health is getting stuck in a negative emotion.
What Is Mindfulness Meditation?
Mindfulness is a type of meditation that involves focusing on your mind on the present. To be mindful is to be aware of your thoughts and actions in the present, without judging yourself.
Research suggests that mindfulness meditation may improve mood, decrease stress, and boost immune function.
How Do You Do It?
- Find a quiet and comfortable place away from any distractions. Step away from your computer and turn off your phone. Sit in a chair or on the floor with your head, neck and back straight and supported.
- Give yourself time to put aside all thoughts of the past and the future and stay in the present by concentrating on your body.
- Become aware of your breathing, focusing on the sensation of air moving in through your nose and out of your mouth as you breathe.
Notice your belly rise and fall as the air enters your belly. Pay attention to the way each breath changes and is different. Notice your breathing getting deeper and deeper.
- Watch every thought come and go, whether it be fear, anxiety or hope, just let them be. When thoughts come up in your mind, that is OK simply note them, let them go, remain calm and concentrate on your breathing.
- If you find yourself getting carried away in your thoughts, observe where your mind went off to, without judging, and simply return to your breathing. Noticing your belly going in and out.
- As the meditation comes to a close, become aware of where you are. Take your time and get up gradually.
How Can You Use A Simple Meditation To Release Fear?
We can try this following simple visualization to let go of fear and anxiety. Sitting in a comfortable position for meditation, with a straight back, we close our eyes and breathe naturally through our nose.
- Identifying what it is you are currently afraid of.
- See the thing that makes you feel fear.
- Visualize these fears in the form of dense thick smoke and breathe it out. Make sure you breathe out ALL of the black smoke. This smoke leaves your nostrils and disappears out back into the atmosphere to be transformed.
As you inhale, imagine you are breathing in all the pure, energy that is filled with safety and calm which fills your body and mind.
After meditating like this for a while, you will feel that your body has released the fear and will feel calmer, your mind is clear, peaceful, and fearless.
There’s no way you can meditate “wrong”. Even if you happen to fall asleep, there’s no harm done. So the fear that incorrect meditation doing damage is completely unfounded.
Meditation helps to raise your vibration and higher vibrations feel better. So, during your meditation and immediately after, you’re given access to much lighter emotions.
It is called a meditation practise for that reason. It take practise! I hope you try this technique. Please let me know how you go in the comments below.
You can find much more information on living a holistic lifestyle in these free magazines and on our YouTube channel.
If you would like to learn more and work with me one on one I would love to work with you. I am passionate about people having a voice, being heard and creating the change you want in your life.
You can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to see how I can help you. Sharon is the founder of Global Healing Exchange. You can work with her on her Emotional Freedom Program here.