Serves 4 to 6
3 medium potatoes
1 head cauliflower
1 onion, chopped
2 ½ tablespoons canola oil
½ teaspoon each, mustard seeds and cumin seeds
12 pieces fenugreek seeds
1 dried red chili (optional)
1 teaspoon ground coriander powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish: dill weed or cilantro
1. In a medium sized pot with salted boiling water, boil the potatoes and allow to cool. This should take 10 to 15 minutes. Peel the skins off the potatoes and cube into 2 inch squares.
2. In the same pot, blanch the cauliflower for around 2 minutes and remove from water. Allow to cool and floret.
3. In a skillet on medium heat, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds and saute until they begin to pop. Once popping, add the rest of the spices and the dried chili and cook until fragrant, approximately 2 minutes. Then add the onion and saute until golden brown, this should take about 8 minutes.
4. Add the cauliflower and cook for 6 to 8 minutes.
5. Lastly add the potatoes and season with salt and pepper, cook for another 5 minutes.
6. Garnish and serve with bread or rice.
The Benefits Of Cauliflower
Cauliflower is part of the cabbage family, known as brassica. It originates from Cyprus or Crete. Cauliflower is similar to broccoli and contains vitamins and minerals. It is considered a brain food and according to Ayurveda is known to reduce both pitta and kapha.
You can find much more information on living a holistic lifestyle in these free magazines and on our YouTube channel.
Lakshmi Harilela – www.lovetruefood.com