Finding ourselves in the midst of winter chills has called for a switch to a nutrient rich diet to keep ourselves feeling and looking great. Inexpensive superfood Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit has proven to be the healthy savior for these winter months when we’re feeling depleted of energy.
The Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit is in fact it is one of the world’s most nutrient-rich fruits, and just one piece of kiwifruit contains 100% of your daily Vitamin C requirements.
Being so rich in Vitamin C, these kiwifruits enhance your health in numerous ways, including improving your immunity, vitality levels, and how you look. Plus, the Vitamin C content in a single Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit is higher than most other common fruit.
It also contains 20 DHA nutrients and antioxidants like folate, potassium, vitamin E and fibre that help you function at your best.
Below are three simple ways you can incorporate Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit into your diet, to boost your immune system and fight the winter blues.
Breakfast – Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit Chia Pudding
Make your regular chia pudding exceptional by adding ZunGold Kiwifruit.
The sweeter, juicier SunGold variety will not only compliment the flavour of the chia pudding but the extra boost of vitamin C atop the already, nutrient packed pudding will make for a revitalising winter breakky.
As they’re also low GI, kiwifruits can help manage blood sugar levels and provide longer lasting energy, reducing the feelings of fatigue and hunger between meals.
Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit Chia Pudding
Prep Time: 24 hours
- 1200ml coconut cream
- 240ml honey
- 250g chia seeds
- 100g toasted coconut
- 300g yoghurt
- 1 vanilla bean
- 6 Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit
- 4tbs pomegranate seeds
- 1tsp chopped mint
- 1 tsp vincotto
- Place the organic black chia seeds in a bowl and add the coconut cream and honey, leave overnight to soak.
- Peel the Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit then cut into 1cm dice, add the pomegranates, chopped mint and vincotto and allow to sit for 30 min before serving.
- Garnish with micro mint.
Lunch – Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit & Ham Pita Packs
The refreshing combination of sweet and savoury will add some excitement to your winter lunch. Being a source of fibre and the unique digestive enzyme, actinidin, kiwifruits are scientifically proven to be effective when it comes to achieving good digestive health. Just two Zespri SunGold Kiwifruits can relieve bloating, keep your bowel movements regular and aid the natural digestion process to keep you from feeling sluggish.
Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit & Ham Pita Packs
Serves: 1 – 2
- 2 peeled and sliced Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit
- 1 medium sized pita bread
- ½ cup salad greens
- 2 – 4 slices of ham or cold meat
- Cut the pita bread in half. Fill both halves with ½ cup lettuce, 2 peeled and sliced Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit and 2 – 4 thin slices of ham or cold meat.
Dinner – Salmon Steak with Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit Salsa
This healthy staple meal can be reinvigorated by incorporating an extra immunity boost with a spicy SunGold salsa.
Also a great post-workout meal, Zespri SunGold Kiwifruits are a source of potassium, and combined with the high Vitamin C levels, they enable your body to digest and absorb the proteins needed to improve the recovery process after exercise, meaning you’re back on your feet quicker!
Salmon Steak with Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit Salsa
- Salmon steak
- Diced Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced big green chili
- Minced Thai parsley and spring Onion
- Black pepper
- Rub salmon with olive oil on both sides. Grill salmon on the frying pan. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper on both sides. Grill until it feels firm and let it cool down.
- Steps for salsa sauce – mix Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit, tomatoes, big green chilies, minced coriander and spring onion into a mixing bowl. Season with salt, lime and black pepper. Add any ingredients to match your taste and preference, then top with salsa sauce. Ready to serve.
You can find much more information on living a holistic lifestyle in these free magazines and on our YouTube channel.
Recipe by Chef Ching, Fashion On Food