Eating out is an unavoidable, and usually enjoyable, part of life but when you’re trying to lose weight or commit to lifestyle changes it can be daunting and overwhelming.
Maybe you got caught out & about needing to grab something quick to eat, are at a social catch up with friends or family or it can even be at a work function, if you have some simple tricks to rely on, eating out doesn’t have to be a complete calorie blowout!
I remember when I first started my weight loss journey, eating out was a massive hurdle for me to overcome, to the point where I often didn’t enjoy myself because I was trying so hard not to stuff up all the hard work I’d done in the days prior.
But, eating out doesn’t have to be such hard work, if you tuck these tips and tricks into your little mental toolbox you will be able to relax, kick back and enjoy yourself and that is what life’s all about at the end of the day.
• Never, ever go to a restaurant starving. Always try to have a small snack about 1-2 hours beforehand to take that ravenous edge off your appetite. Set a reminder alarm on your phone if this helps.
• When you arrive, choose to sit beside the person that you know is likely to eat the least and eat the healthiest. You’ll be surprised how you’ll be influenced by what those around you order .. a nice little trick to keep you on track.
• Order plenty of steamed veggies or a garden salad (with any dressings on the side) and use this to bulk up your plate. I make little deals with myself during the meal too, e.g. if I finish all my salad then I can have a piece of bread, if I still feel like it.
• Most restaurant food is very high in salt, you will need to drink extra water to flush the salt out of your system and avoid bloating.
• Don’t be afraid to ask for variations of a meal, one of my favourite tricks when I’m caught out is to order a burger, without the bread. I’ve never found this to be a problem and quite often you will end up with a meal that makes others wish they’d ordered it!
• Ordering a meal but worried that it includes a side of fries? Ask if you can have extra salad instead of the fries or just simply request that you don’t get the fries.
• Don’t stress if you are really pushed to find something healthy on the menu, order what you think is the best option and only eat a small portion of it and then enjoy a light soup or salad when you can.
You can find much more information on living a holistic lifestyle in these free magazines and on our YouTube channel.
Now you have my favourite tricks and tips and with any luck this will make eating out a lot more enjoyable – who doesn’t enjoy sitting around a table sharing food, laughs and love with great friends & family!!