Hot Cross Buns that are GF / Refined Sugar Free / Grain Free / Dairy Free / Vegan alternative for you to enjoy this Easter.
- 340g fine almond meal
- 60g organic sultanas, currants or dried fruit mix
- 1 heaped tablespoon of Well Naturally Melts plus extra 1/3 cup for piping chocolate crosses
- 50ml raw honey, maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large free range eggs (or 2 chia “eggs” for vegans)
- 2 tbsp macadamia or virgin cold pressed coconut oil, melted
- Grated rind of 1 orange (unwaxed)
- Grated rind of 1 lemon (unwaxed)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp bi-carb soda
- Pinch of sea salt
- Set the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced) and measure the ground almonds, spices, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together with a large whisk to aerate. Add the dried fruit, melts, lemon and orange zest to the bowl and mix together to combine.
- Whisk the eggs (or chia eggs), liquid sweetener and oil until light and fluffy, preferably with an electric whisk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together with a spoon.
- The mixture will be quite sticky but this is normal. Just add a little more almond flour if you feel the mix is too wet. Wet your hands with a little cold water and roll the mixture quickly into six or eight even sized buns, then place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Place into the oven and bake at 180°C (160°C fan-forced) for five minutes, then drop the temperature to 150°C (130°C) and cook for a further twenty to twenty-five minutes.
Cover with some foil towards the end of the cooking time if they appear to be getting too brown. The hot cross buns are ready if they sound hollow when tapped underneath.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack and melt chocolate as per package instructions. Pour melted chocolate into a piping bag with thin nozzle and pipe decorative crosses on top of each hot cross bun. Once set, they’re ready to eat!
Recipe By Hayley Cavicchiolo Nourished Habits
Nutrition, Food & Wellness Coaching