Pilates is a physical fitness routine developed by Joseph Pilates, hence the name. It is more of a workout than a therapy and if done with proper guidance and awareness, can help improve flexibility, build up strength and develop control and endurance of the body.
It is not like any fine day you just start doing Pilates, there certain points which one has to keep in mind before starting their routine.
Thing To Keep In Mind Before Starting Pilates
- The first thing is to discard the thought that you need to do a lot of exercises quickly to get results. This is not the right way to do Pilates. It is hard to imagine that you can get a great workout without practicing some high-intensity movements.
It is not all about how many times you are able to perform the activity, but instead, it is all about how you stick to a planned routine and how you perform it.
- Do your research. Read and study the methodologies if you are planning to take up a Pilates routine at your home or else get an instructor or join a class. If you are planning to buy new instruments, make an in-depth analysis of it.
You need to make sure the instrument you are planning to buy is suitable for your workout style.
- Ask appropriate questions. Never back off from asking questions. Taking a professional’s help is very important if you are in any doubt as they are qualified to answer all your queries.
- It is really important to keep in mind to always refrain from doing anything that hurts your body. The instructors in the Pilates classes or the ones in the YouTube videos are experts and experienced in doing Pilates so don’t push yourself after watching them. Never do anything that requires over exertion.
- The most important thing while doing Pilates is to maintain the breathing pattern. Every instructor may teach a different breathing pattern, but a breathing pattern is a must. The breathing pattern is important in any activity thus one should stick to a breathing pattern as instructed by the experts.
- Pilates is a type of workout and so always wear appropriate clothes for a workout. Make sure your clothing is not too tight or too baggy. Don’t wear any shoes. If you want, you can wear a pair of specialized Pilates socks.
- Have your form assessed and corrected from time to time. Once you form a faulty pattern, it is hard to break. In the case of workouts, practice doesn’t make you perfect. It just cements what you are already doing. So, from time to time get a private session arranged with an experienced and qualified Pilates instructor.
- You need to acknowledge your fitness level and your age. Find the appropriate video that suits your fitness level. If you’ve never done Pilates before, start right at the beginning with an introduction to Pilates and don’t try to rush in. Take the time to learn the how’s and whys of what you are doing.
- Listen to your body. Don’t blindly follow the instructors while doing Pilates. If you feel a particular movement is not working well with you, skip it and ask the instructor for an alternate movement.
- Most important of all, make sure you watch all the safety instructions before beginning your workout. Don’t just assume you know it all already. Grave muscle injuries can be caused if you are negligent or ignorant of the safety instructions.
Keeping these above-mentioned pointers in mind you are ready to do Pilates without any hiccup. Prepare a schedule and plan your time intervals and thus it will give you good results.
You can find much more information on living a holistic lifestyle in these free magazines and on our YouTube channel.
Alyssa Moylan is an ordinary woman from Australia, a writer by day and a reader by night. She writes on various topics like lifestyle, health, wellness and fashion.